Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I remember, Part II: Food - and how I paid for it in 2001

That December, I moved across Main Street from South campus to Callodine. To share a townhouse with two other graduate students. One from Economics and the other from Engineering. This was a huge rambling townhouse with hardwood floors and a separate bedroom for each of us. Space had been provided in the house for most amenities graduate students need (which is very little to start with anyway) except the bathroom. You would have to exit as soon as you entered the sole bathroom and as we all know, in such cases, the bathroom is to blame for all the problems that crop up amongst roommates :)

At that time, I was of the opinion that hot milk can set most things straight. This, from a purported lactose-intolerant milk-hater. Well....now that I have it in writing, it actually does make sense. Anyhow, the Engineering grad knocks on my door in the dead of the night - her pupils are dilated, sweat beads stand out on her forehead and I don't mind admitting now that I was just a little bit scared by the look in her eyes. She was having problems sleeping in her room - noises or some such. Could she share my room tonight? Sure - out come the hot milk and biscuits and we became steadfast oh-sugar-so-nice roommate buddies UNTIL....the bathroom interfered. You see, any and all of my friends/roommates will vouch for the fact that I am not the tidiest person in the world. I am one of the fast-dying breed of women who do not track down a speck of dust with a feather duster/vacuum cleaner. I clean my room if I have visitors - otherwise, I like the theory of order amidst chaos. And, we all know how that works - or at least, the few of us know. So - diehard OCD clean-freak battled diehard OCD dirt-freak and our friendship withered in the midst. What a pity - oh well. Ho hum.

It was here in this very townhouse that I hosted my first dinner party. To introduce my ex to my friends and to thank my friends for all the care they showered during my post-knee surgery days. [At this point, I should take a step back from Callodine and tell you that my winter break prior to moving into the townhouse was spent living at a friend's apartment - with a knee cast and a miniature refrigerator (it was actually an ice box) circulating cold water around the wound to keep the swelling down. I depended wholly on Sourav to cook for me and actually even entertain me - would you believe this guy and his friend took me to a movie on 25th December? Cast and refrigerator and all; lifting my leg off the road into the car; arranging for enough leg space in the movie theatre? I tell you - this guy was a Godsend. So, everytime I cuss out males in general, I have to make a few mental omissions] I cooked and I sang and we made merry. Lots of merry. Until the semester started and I was told there was no more funding. I worked in the university cafeteria slicing pizza and compiling sandwiches ("Tuna salad? Wheat or white? Mayo or mustard? Lettuce? Banana peppers? Oh come on, you **%%$!@ 18 year-old, buck the f$%& up!") - lapping up the free food and the 6.50$ an hour. This reminds me - you should try toasting an everything bagel, brush it with butter and top it with thinly sliced tomatoes. Absolute heaven.

So, one of these days (now that I have evoked sufficient sympathy from the here-now there-now reader), I hobble back home on crutches (notice 'hobble') to a yellow sticky posted on my bedroom door. The Eco grad has had it with my unkempt ways and thorough disregard for division of chores laid down in the house. Something along the lines of 'Please wipe the kitchen floor TODAY, it is YOUR turn'. So, I get down and wipe the floor. Seeing the unfairness of it all, God smote the Eco grad...well, not quite - she broke her foot descending the stairs to hell (our basement, what else). And, yours truly cooked and shared her food and chatted up the Eco grad. Needless to say, there were no more yellow stickies on my door after that.

(Sanctimonious chuckle in the background) Much more later.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me so much of my first year during grad school days. I was never a milk person, and somehow I always used to have 8 AM classes and my roomie didnt... so I would groggily walk out of my apt in my flipflops and while doing so I would see him sitting down with a huge bowl of milk and cereals and watch TV and he would finish breakfast in 45 mins...

Also, the noise issue... we used to have a Chinese-American (big guy, single guy, more American than Chinese) who lived sandwiched between two desi apartments... one time we had bhangra music and dance on... this guy was so pissed off (because this was a regular affair) that he did not bother to come out and knock on our door to ask us to lower volume, instead he started banging through his wall (and ours). We had a Mexican friend who was high on tequilla by then, and he started banging back on the wall! :D Then the two went out and would have had a fist fight, if we didnt intervene!

Huh! Those were the good old days! :-) Keep writing more, please!

HB Pencil said...

This is the best part of marriage - I will always have at least one commenter for keeps :)

I cannot imagine Bhangra dance and you and tequila all in the same sentence.

Random Walker said...

Ha Ha... so many things I never knew about you HB. Your last two posts are witty and nostalgic... made me think of what I did when I came here first... all that appears is a blank. What happened between 2001 and 2003?

Keep writing, you have one more reader :)

Anonymous said...

After a very very long time reading ur writing brings tears to my eyes. Ofcourse you will have this reader dedicated to your blog site always asking for more. It was quite an interesting time when you went there. I loved the way you have written this bit. I can surely see a huge change in your way of writing!! Keep writing!

Ur sis!

Boka Bangali said...

I get reminded of the time I reached there and you so badly want to keep me away from working on campus, but I did it anyway. I think it was a good experience where I valued everything way more than taking everything for granted. Keep writing shuts! You know you are good at it and not many have the talent to pen it down so well. Look forward to many more of your blogs!! Love you to bits!!

Bangali Meye said...

Hey, got a little busy, I am loving the I remember series!

NIVE MAJUMDAR said...

Please get back to this up.... its insane for you not to!!!! you do it soooo well!!!!

NIVE MAJUMDAR said...

I just love this piece... its so vividly you... too good!!!

Followers